Tuesday, October 7, 2008

For William Ward

I got the news yesterday that my friend and former colleague, William Ward, succumbed on Sunday to his long bout with cancer. He was 61 years old. And even though it has been almost three years since I had the privilege of working side by side with Mr. Ward, I am greatly saddened by this loss.

William was perennially greeting someone. Not a soul could walk by without receiving a warm hello, a smile and a handshake (or if you were lucky, a hug). Every greeting was full of kindness and sincerity. His love and appreciation of the people around him overflowed. One could say it emanated from his very being.

William gave his entire adult life to two things: his family and the education of children and teachers. I knew William as a husband, father and grandfather, but mostly I knew William as a classroom teacher at Hawthorne Valley School, a Waldorf school in Ghent, NY. William taught children for nearly 28 years and taught future teachers for many of those years as well. But one could learn many lessons from William just in knowing him. As his colleague for two and a half years, his example reminded me about the importance of love and humor in the classroom. William's dedication to his group of students was tremendous. He showed me and those around him the true meaning of teaching as a calling, not just a job. William wasn't perfect and strove constantly to grow and improve at his vocation...this too was an example to others. He learned from his wealth of experiences and was open to sharing this wealth with those around him.

William was creative and joyful; be it during committee work, faculty meetings or in the day-to-day of teaching. He was quick to understand, quick to forgive and quick to laugh. He was incredibly reflective and able to see the bright side in any situation. William was, fortunately for future teachers and children, able to put a bit of his wisdom into writing. He published many plays for children as well as articles on different aspects of Waldorf pedagogy. He also recently wrote a book, Traveling Light, about his journey with cancer.

William touched so many lives. As I stood before my class today, I thought of William. It was wonderful to realize that lessons I learned from him have touched my current students as well. I send my love and sympathy to William's wife, my friend and former colleague, Andy; his family; and the Hawthorne Valley community in this time of sadness. My heart is with them as they celebrate the life of one of its pillars.

2 comments:

  1. I knew Bill very well at Columbia
    and took about eight courses with
    him as an undergraduate. I only just learned of his illness and book after reading about it in our alumni magazine. I did purchase the book on-line (as I couldn't find it in any local book stores). I enjoyed it very much and was able to recognize the same gracious curious soul I knew then. I did write a letter c/o his school in the hope it would reach him about eleven days ago but feared as I know now from your blog that it might be too little too late. In the letter I did share with him one special set of memories I still recall most vividly. During the summer of 1971 another college friend and I came out form NYC to visit Bill and Andy in Santa Fe. While there, we hiked in Bandelier Nat'l Mnmnt, visited Great Sand Dunes for a day trip and hiked up Santa Fe Baldy in the Sangre de Cristo range during which time all four of us had to wait out a passing thunderstorm in my two man tent. I can only imagine how many people are affected by his loss. Having just recently lost my own wife of 31 years this May 7th I feel an added burden of sorrow at this news. And yet, I am somehow uplifted when I think of Bill now especially after reading his book. I especially enjoyed the section entitled FIRE and consider it one of the most wonderful expressions on this miraculous thing, language, and how we come by it through the innocence of childhood.

    Alphonse J. Baluta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alphonse,

    First let me say that I am sorry to hear of the loss of your wife.

    Thank you so much for reading my blog about William and for sharing some of your memories with me. Andy still works at the school so she has surely received your letter. i have yet to read William's book. I only learned of it as I was searching other works he had published. I plan on reading it during my winter break.

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete