Sunday, March 9, 2008

Plug for Doug

This post has nothing to do with life in Montreal, but it's well worth reading...

Back in high school on Long Island I was in an advanced French class that had juniors and seniors in it. I sat near Doug Fine, a junior who I knew already by reputation, but never had the chance to get to know. I was a senior at the time. Doug was one of the smartest and funniest and cleverest people I had ever met. (He was also a great musician and athlete--some people are just naturally good at everything!). We became fast friends and spent a good deal of time together that year and laughed a lot.

I lost touch with Doug after he went to college, but by the grace of Google, I found him again last year. He's a successful journalist, author and environmentalist and he is still extremely smart and funny. I haven't bought his books yet, but when I finally sell my house in a few weeks, I intend to. (No, his books are not that expensive, money's just a bit tight chez Bo and Bijou paying that mortgage on top of our normal expenses here). In the mean time, I content myself and entertain myself by reading his blog: Dispatches from the Funky Butte Ranch. Doug is currently living on a ranch in New Mexico: raising goats, living "off the grid." He drives a "R.O.A.T (ridiculously oversized American truck)" which he fuels with waste vegetable oil from fast food restaurants.


Doug has a way of telling the stories of his everyday adventures with a great deal of humor and intelligence. It's worth reading the comments too; the discussions can be quite interesting. Doug appreciates comments, always replies and would especially appreciate advice on certain delicate aspects of farm life and goat-rearing that us Long Islanders just didn't pick up between soccer practice and shopping at the mall.


So from the total opposite side of the continent, I warmly suggest that you become a reader of Dispatches from the Funky Butte Ranch and that you go here to buy his first book: Not Really an Alaskan Mountain Man, and go to Amazon.com to pre-order his second book: Farewell, My Subaru. Doug has recently added a video to his website that gives you even more insight into his quest and his personality. You will be entertained and inspired, trust me.

2 comments:

  1. To my Waldorf friends:
    I think Doug would make an interesting and appropriate graduation speaker. There's a link on his website about speaking engagements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update: Doug's goat Nathalie gave birth to a pair of kids this week. The Funky Butte Ranch goat population has now doubled.

    ReplyDelete